"I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep." - John 10:9, 11
I used to wonder about this passage a lot. I would ask myself "how is it that Jesus is the door in one verse and just two verses later He is the the good shepherd?" In order to understand this I had to understand what being a shepherd in the first century A.D. was like. For one the shepherd actually became the door of the sheepfold. The shepherd and the door are not separate but one. Back then the sheepfold would be this roofless enclosure out in the middle of the field, and it would only have one opening to it, either to come in or out but no door. At night the shepherd would become the door by laying down across the entrance of the sheepfold thus not allowing anything to go in or out without getting through him first. This was a way the shepherd protected his sheep during the night by laying down between his sheep and any predators that would try and come in. So then Jesus is trying to say that He is not just our shepherd but our door too, who layed down His life for us that we might live. This is a wonderful picture of how the Lord gives us eternal life and abundance in Him.
- HOW DOES THE FACT THAT JESUS LAID HIS LIFE DOWN FOR YOU MOVE YOU TO LAY DOWN YOUR LIFE AND DESIRES FOR HIM?
- PSALM 23 INTERPRETED:
- The Lord is my Shepherd - That's Relationship!
- I shall not want - That's Supply!
- He makes me to lie down in green pastures - That's Rest!
- He leads me beside the still waters - That's Refreshment!
- He restores my soul - That's Healing!
- He leads me in the paths of righteousness - That's Guidance!
- For His name sake - That's Purpose!
- Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death - That's Testing!
- I will fear no evil - That's Protection!
- For you are with me - That's Faithfulness!
- Your rod and Your staff they comfort me - That's Discipline!
- You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies - That's Hope!
- You anoint my head with oil - That's consecration (sets us apart)!
- My cup runs over - That's Abundance!
- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life - That's Blessing!
- And I will dwell in the house of the Lord - That's Security!
- Forever - That's Eternity!